Ethiopia Postal Code / Ethiopia Zip Code
The Ethiopia Zip Code is a 5 digit code that is used to identify the location of a post office or any other mail sorting facility. The zip codes were introduced in 1977 by the Ethiopian Postal Service. There are a total of 11 geographical regions.
The first digit of the Ethiopa Zip Code signifies the region, followed by four digits that signify a specific postal district in that region.
History of Ethiopia Postal Service
The origins of postal services may be traced back to the Middle Ages, when royal couriers were recruited to transport government documents from one location to another. Most nations' postal services began in the 18th century, when various modes of transportation such as mules, horses, camels, and stagecoaches were employed to convey letters. Even falcons were carefully taught in some Middle Eastern countries to transport written messages from one location to another. Throughout 1830, the first railway mails were delivered in Europe. The creation of the Universal Postal Union (UPU) in 1874 was instrumental in promoting international postal services.
Prior to the formation of the postal service in Ethiopia on March 9, 1894, as a result of an imperial order, communication was handled by couriers known as'melektegnas or postegnas.' These strong individuals travelled long distances, frequently on foot, battling hard terrain and severe weather. They suffered hunger and thirst while carrying their letters above their heads on cleft sticks (which eventually became the post office's emblem and is still used today) until they arrived at their destination. Nearly two decades after the foundation of UPU, the Ethiopian Postal Service was created. The second half of the nineteenth century in Ethiopia was marked by the development and strengthening of the empire state under Emperor Menelik's protection. Menelik saw the postal service, like the telephone and telegraph, as an important tool of disseminating information, initially for political and administrative purposes and then for public correspondence.
In this manner, Emperor Menelik entrusted the organisation of the country's first postal service to Mr. Alfred IIg, a Swiss engineer who is also credited with initiating the construction of the Djibouti-Addis Ababa railway line and, with it, the installation of the country's first telegraph and telephone lines. Seven French specialists were invited to Ethiopia in 1908 to oversee the construction of the Ethiopian Ministry of Posts, Telegraphs, and Telephones as a unified organisation. Approximately at the same time, Swiss postal professionals came and began teaching local staff.
Letters, packages, and products that were formerly delivered by camel back may now be transported by rail between Djibouti and Addis Abeba. This was a critical feature that dramatically increased the speed and efficiency of the postal service while also laying the groundwork for international letter interchange. In 1908, Ethiopia became a member of the Universal Postal Union.
In 1895, the first Ethiopian stamps were made in Paris and sold in Harar, Dire Dawa, Entoto, and Addis Abeba. M. Eugene Mousson, a renowned French philatelic artist, developed and engraved the first souvenir sheet, known as a "province Block." There were seven different denominations. Four of the stamps had an effigy of Menelik II wearing his golden crown, while the other four depicted a lion. When Ethiopia joined the Universal Postal Union in 1908, the occasion was marked with the issuing of a new series of stamps, which were also used for international mail until 1919.
Between the death of Minilik in 1913 and the coronation of Teferi Mokonen as Emperor Haile Selassie in 1930, Ethiopian post underwent a modest but steady development. The General Post Office and two branch offices were founded in Addis Abeba until the Italian conquest of the country in 1936. In addition, thirty-six post offices were established throughout the empire. The growth of postal services was then delayed by the fascist takeover of Italy. Except for Harar, Dire Dawa, and Addis Abeba, the occupying forces demolished the regional offices. They sought to reorient the Ethiopian Postal Service to match their own requirements.
Everything had to start over after the defeat of the Italian fascist troops and the restoration of Ethiopian independence in 1941. The Ministry of Posts, Telegraphs, and Telephones was founded to hasten the rebuilding of the country's war-ravaged telecommunications sector. The postal and telecommunication offices were split in 1953, and the effort of restoring postal services, regular mail, and postal organisation continued apace until the postal proclamation was issued in 1966.
The proclamation establishing the post office, officially known as Proclamation No. 240 of 1966, established the administrative infrastructure for the postal system's reform, extension, and modernisation. The post office was established as an autonomous department of the Ministry of Posts, Telegraphs, and Telephones as a result of the proclamation.
The post office was given independence and was led by a Director General. In turn, the Director General carried out his responsibilities under the Minister's supervision. The postal headquarters in Addis Abeba oversaw the overall administration and financial operations of the post service. The Postal Services Division at the Headquarters coordinated and controlled the 12 postal districts, each of which was led by a Head Postmaster.
"The Ethiopian Postal Service has the right to operate the transport of postal articles and the performance of all services incidental thereto, including, without limitation, receiving, collecting, dispatching, and delivering postal articles, the acceptance and remittance of limited sums of money by means of postal and money orders, the management and control of postal packets and parcels, the maintenance and operation of philatelic and rela
The General Post Office building, which was built in 1969, provides enough room for the introduction of additional postal services. The postal museum (placed on the ground level of the GPO) was likewise created after the general post office had been in operation for seven years.
Ethiopia, with a land area of 1.1 million square kilometres and a population of over 110 million people, now has over 835 post offices and over 170,000 post boxes. One post office is predicted to service 131,737 people, whereas one private box serves 5647 individuals.
Ethiopian postal service launches EMS (express mail service) in 1989 as a consequence of opportunities and challenges. With the advent of EMS, the Ethiopian Postal Service has become competitive in the express delivery sector. It was created as a public enterprise in 2009 by proclamation number 165/2009 and was awarded all of the powers and duties specified by proclamation number 240/1966.
Currently, the Ethiopian postal service provides services including as
letter post service
parcel post service
Express mail service
Transport services (post Bus)
Post box Service
Advertisement services through post boxes (direct advertisement)
Door to Door acceptance and delivery Servic
Local and International money transfer
NGO Payment and ministration
Diplomatic Pouches Service
Delivery of Biological samples service for EPHI and Blood Bank
Handling of non-café student tuition payment
Mr. Abebe Bekele
P.O. Box 1519
1000 ADDIS ABABA
Mr. Abebe Bekele
P.O. Box 1519
1000 ADDIS ABABA