Located in Armenia, Gavar is a town and urban community that serves as the administrative centre of Gegharkunik Province. In the high mountains of the Gegham range, it is to the west of Lake Sevan. It has an average height of 1982 metres above sea level. There were 20,765 people living there in 2011; it was 98 kilometres east of the capital, Yerevan. It was estimated by the government in 2016 that there were 19,500 people living in Gavar.
In the Armenian Apostolic Church, Gavar is the home of the Diocese of Gegharkounik, which is part of the church.
Nor Bayezet or Novo-Bayazet was the name of the town until 1959, when it was changed to Bayazet. The town was named after the Western Armenian town of Bayazet (historically known as Daroynk and Arshakavan). Between 1959 and 1995, Kamo was the name of the town. It was named after the Bolshevik leader Kamo (Simon Ter-Petrosian). On December 4, 1995, the town was changed to Gavar, which means "county" in Armenian.
Gavar has been known as Kyavar since the 19th century, but that's not the only thing that has changed.